Though gravy is favored by many people, many home cooks find it really hard to make flavorful and smooth gravy. If you would like to figure out how to make gravy from scratch, we will help you to learn more about the process of cooking the most popular sauces and their tricks. They will be essential in making perfect gravy every time you want to surprise your family.
Traditional Brown Gravy from Scratch
It is fairly simple to make gravy. All you need is three simple ingredients: water, flour and drippings. Brown gravy is more traditional and if you’d like to find out how to make gravy from scratch, you should start with it.
Brown gravy is made of pan drippings that are left from a beef dish. These little bits deepen the gravy’s flavor. The most essential thing in cooking your favorite sauce is stirring it all the time. Stirring is vital in insuring that the gravy doesn’t separate or scorch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or you can use butter);
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch/2 tablespoons sifted flour (it’s up to you to choose);
- 1 packet beef bouillon
- 1 cup of stock or beef broth. If you choose the first option, your gravy will have richer flavor;
- salt , pepper and herbs to taste.
Take a small saucepan and melt butter in it (over medium heat). Add flour, stirring the mixture all the time. Cook it until the flour is dissolved into butter and becomes light brown. As a rule, the process requires up to 3 minutes. The mixture you get is called rue and resembles peanut butter.
As you remember, we let you choose between 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons sifted flour. In case you pick the first option, dissolve 1 tbsp of cornstarch in 1 tbsp of cool water and set aside.
The next step is adding the broth or beef stock. While adding the liquid, stir the substance and maintain medium heat. Don’t stop stirring until the mixture starts boiling. While stirring you will see that the gravy start thickening. Then add bouillon, salt, pepper and herbs to taste.
In case with corn starch, dissolve the bouillon into the liquid, add the cornstarch mixture and cook until it comes to a boil.
Thanksgiving Season all the Year Round
The tradition of serving turkey during the Thanksgiving season has been followed for many years. But can’t we serve turkey all the year round, nourishing it with gravy? Besides, the meat of a turkey is very healthful and can be included not only into your daily ration, but also into your diet!
When the turkey is cooked, it leaves pan drippings that create a basis for very delicious gravy, which is quite easy to cook.
- Take a small pot and spray it with cooking spray. Add chopped celery and onion and then cook the mixture until celery becomes tender and the onions are transparent. After reaching the needed condition, set the pot aside.
- Pour water into a glass with pan drippings. Wait until the fat that is present in drippings comes to the top and remove its layer. Place the mixture on the stove and heat it to boiling. Reduce the heat and combine vegetables and seasoning.
- Take 1 cup of cold water and add 2 tbsp of cornstarch. Here the things depend on your own preferences: if you like thick gravy, add not 2, but 3 tbsp. Stir the mixture until it is completely smooth.
- Combine all ingredients and stir them until the mixture returns to boil. Simmer until the gravy reaches desired thickness (approximately 15 minutes).
Was it difficult? – Not as difficult as you thought it might be… Now, as you know how to make gravy from scratch, not only your Thanksgiving season, but every holiday will be full of flavor and color.